Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Infinity

was listening to the radio again last night on the way home from YACS. There was a sermon playing entitled "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors" (Listen to it here! http://www.haventoday.org/audio/021108-64k.m3u ) It was an interesting concept and I was really agreeing with what the pastor was saying. That is, I was really agreeing with what the pastor was saying until he said something to the effect of, "One day, we will know Christ as He knows us." *Tires screeching to a halt*
Excuse me? Did I hear that right? Did he really just say that one day we will know everything there is to know about the Lord Jesus Christ? Houston, we have a problem.
But seriously. I do have a HUGE problem with that statement. We are finite beings, and I believe that we will always be finite in some capacity. Even in our new bodies, we will have those finite limits. I don't believe that, once we finish this life and go to Heaven, we'll be able to fly or read minds or walk through walls or any of that crazy stuff. Heaven is the city of God and it is made of physical materials such as gold, pearl and precious stones. There is water in Heaven that flows from the throne of God. What bothers me about the statement that one day we will know everything about Christ is that Christ is God, and God is infinite. As finite beings, we can never fully understand and infinte God. It's simply impossible. If finite beings could grasp everything about God, then He couldn't be infinite.
I looked up the definition of "infinite" on www.m-w.com. I found the result to be quite interesting. ": extending indefinitely : endless 2: immeasurably or inconceivably great or extensive : inexhaustible 3: subject to no limitation or external determination." My favorite is the second one. "Immeasurably or inconceivably great or extensive."
God is not only infinite. He is infinitely immutable. He does not change. (Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.") Therefore, if God is now infinite and God is immutable, then God has always been and will continue to be infinite. There will never be an end to God. If there is no end, then how can we discover it? If there is never an end to God, then how can we ever know all there is to know? I believe it is impossible for us to know all there is to know about God, and it will always be impossible. For if we could fit the entirety of the infinity of God into our finite beings, then there would be no infinity because there would be an end. An end means that there can be nothing further and therefore negates the possibility of infinity.
Yikes... my head hurts now. Did that make any sense at all? I'm really interested to get feedback on this, I've already spoken of it with one of my coworkers (who also happens to be a good friend) and we disagree on the matter. Let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

OjOs cerrados said...

gracias por pasar por mi blog!.
no leí todo lo que escribiste porque era muy largo, mi inglés no es muy bueno y la religion no me interesa, pero igual me parecio interesante tu blog. Seguiré leyendo lo que entienda.

(espero que puedas entender lo que te estoy escribiendo acá)


suerte!!!!