Friday, July 29, 2011

Confessions of a Newlywed

Photobucket


Hello again! It's been so long, I hope you still remember me! My confessions aren't going to be in bullet points today. They're better served with paragraph-like form.
I've been married 48 days, and, to be honest, I think that the newlyweds who gush that newlywed life is, "so great! We've never been happier," are just being cliche. That's not to say that I'm not happy. I am. I love my husband and I'm very glad to be married to him. But this whole newly wed thing just seems like a natural extension of normal life. It's not the fairytale that I used to think it would be. He leaves the toilet seat up right before bed, and I fall in when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning the light on first. I creep him out by leaving hair in the shower. We bicker about who takes up more space when it's time to sleep. Then I apparently kick him in my sleep while I'm having nightmares about getting pregnant and being chased through the street (no more NCIS before bed). He tells me he's leaving for work and then scares the crap out of me when he comes back upstairs, looking for his keys (no wonder I kicked him). I make dinner and he does the dishes. I fill up the trash can and he takes it out, although after last trash day, I feel the need to check the locks after he comes in. He tickles me when I'm not paying attention to him. I do laundry (it works better when you don't get the fabric softener mixed up with the detergent) and bake (also works better when you don't confuse baking powder with baking soda), he acts like I'm a culinary genius when my first attempt at yeast rolls turns out perfectly risen and moist and yummy and gratefully stops eating when his picky, but creative wife proclaims the new recipe she tried is absolutely disgusting. 
All of this is just life. It's messy, and boring and fun and normal. 
I guess that's what happens after the fairy tale ending. After the credits roll and the music ends. Life just happens. And I guess that IS the happily ever after. Because the alternative is life not happening. And that;s just a buzz-kill. 

Welp, it's date night, my hubby will be home in about 2 hours and I still haven't washed my hair or shaved my legs, so I should probably sign off. 

I go back to work August 17. School starts again August 22. My principal called me yesterday and instead of being the library aide this year, I'm going to be the computer teacher. I'm excited to try something new, but I'm sad that I won't be in the library. Wish me luck, I probably won't have anything new to post until after school starts. Most of what I do these days doesn't merit being written about.

Take care, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm kicking myself because I read this days ago and had my comment half finished when my children interrupted me and I never posted it! You probably thought I was ignoring you.

I loved this post because it is so true. That is exactly what life is like, and how it's supposed to be. I'm not a huge Katie Perry fan, but that song she sings about how love is not like the movies, and that's how it should be is totally right on.

Glad you're settling in and I look forward to hearing all your new adventures as a computer teacher! I *loved* computer class in elementary school. I can't even imagine how much it's changed in 20 years.

I've been checking out the books you recommended for my son. He liked the Animorph series! Thanks for taking the time to write them all down for me.

Got your comment today and yes, I live near a beach. I'm in the inland Northwest and we are spoiled with tons of lakes and rivers. It's not white sand, by any means, but it gets the job done. The trade off is our summer takes about three months longer to start than the rest of the country. It has been in the low 70's most of the season, up until last week. We are so excited for heat!